Did you know that there’s such a thing as Shiny Object Syndrome?
Have you ever had one of those days where you know you have work to do, you’re trying to get something done (oh, I don’t know, like a newsletter or a blog post…let’s just say), but you find your attention being pulled in 20 different directions?
Did you know there’s actually a name for that? It’s called Shiny Object Syndrome. And boy howdy do I seem to have it this week!
You see, it’s not quite ADD or ADHD where you can’t focus on anything longer than for a few moments. It’s more like while you’re trying to focus on a particular task, your mind gets pulled into another direction and then another. It becomes really frustrating when you have something that really needs to get done.
I’m set up for jury duty next week so I’m trying to get ahead on things like blog posts, newsletter articles and status updates and tweets for my business. But somehow, instead of focusing on the tasks at hand, I’m out there thinking about a whole bunch of other, non-business, non-task oriented things…
- How the dog needs to be groomed and will that help to finally get the fleas and his itching under control?
- What are we going to do my husband’s upcoming birthday and when will I have time to buy his gift and should I wrap it and does that really matter?
- What should I get the little nephews for their birthdays and is there an easy and inexpensive way to get them something? What do little boys even want?
- Where is that book I wanted to give to my friend for part of her baby gift? If I can’t find it what do I get instead?
- Why did I donate all those baby gifts last year thinking that all my friends were done having babies?
- When will I have time to get all these gifts? Is it possible to buy everything at one store? Target maybe?
- Can you believe it’s birthday season already? From this week through the next 4 months I’ll have over 10 gifts to buy for family…yikes!
- What can I do to do to get the garden in better shape and with all this rain, when will I have the time to do that?
- Will the Square Foot Gardening class still be going on in the rain this weekend?
- Will ordering some worms be enough to salvage the dirt, or will I need to do more?
- What am I going to wear tonight to the Sassy City Fashion Bash and will it rain and how will that affect what I’m going to wear?
- what’s for dinner and when am I going to get around to washing the sink full of dishes if I have work to do today and somewhere to go tonight?
Hopefully now that I’ve gotten all these raging questions out of my head I’ll be able to get back to work on the 3 other articles I’d like to write today before heading out.