Well, it’s almost that time.
Seems in less than a month, I’ll be back at school and teaching technology to my middle schoolers. I can’t say I’m exactly ready. But then again, I still have a whole month to soak in the LA summer (all while avoiding the crazy Valley summer temps).
While I have had the chance to read plenty of books this summer (I think I’m at 22 or 23 at this point), and I’ve attended some fun outdoor events, there’s still so much I want to do before heading back.
This WeLikeLA.com post came to my attention earlier today and it reminded me that I’m not an LA local. And while I may have been here for 13ish years now, there’s still so much I haven’t seen or done.
So I figured it would be fun to maybe make a list of what I’d like to do around LA before Labor Day.
So here you go, In no particular order:
- Getty Museum + take one of the guided tours
- Getty Villa – I’ve yet go visit since they opened it a few years back
- Evening cocktails on a rooftop – not the night clubbing kind, more the mellow kind
- Something yummy from Grand Central Market – I hear Egg Slut is amazing
- Photo the Chandelier Tree
- Photo from to top of City Hall
- Friday night at LA Live (think we’re doing that next weekend)
- Visit Griffith Observatory – haven’t been since it opened
- Overnight trip to Santa Barbara
- Iconic photo of downtown with the park bench – been waiting for a smog-free day for this one
- Get my swim on – I feel weird if I don’t get to a pool at least once each summer
- Visit Peace Awareness Labyrinth & Gardens
- Visit the Lake Shrine Temple
- California Science Center
- Hammer Museum – I’ve been for concerts (same with the Science Center), but not for the actual museum
- Rooftop Japanese garden at the Kyoto Grand
- Japanese Garden in Van Nuys
- The Bradbury Building
- Summer night event at Grand Park downtown
I guess I’ll keep adding to the list as I think of more things. And I’ll be sure to cross off the stuff I finally get around to doing.
A few of these DTLA things I had put aside for my 2-week Federal jury duty time. But it turns out I never actually got called in for that. Oh well.
And yes, I realize that most of what I want to do is museum related. And logically, it makes more sense to wait until school starts back up again. And pretty much, the ones that aren’t, are mostly photo ops for me. But it’s my list. So I get to decide what goes on it and what gets done.
What’s on your summer list – something you’ve already done or something you’d still like to do?